1. Which patient & caregiver support groups does the CMF offer?
We offer two online support groups. One is specifically for those living with mesothelioma. The other is geared towards those who are caring for a loved one with mesothelioma, or have lost a loved one to this disease.
2. What do I need to join a CMF support group?
All you need is a Facebook account.
3. How do I join?
- Open a Facebook account if you don't already have one (https://www.facebook.com).
- "Like" the CMF Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/CMFonline
- Send a private message to the CMF Facebook page or to email@example.com specifying the group you would like to join (patient or caregiver).
- Once you receive your invitation from the CMF, click on the link provided to preview the group. Accept the invitation to gain immediate access and membership to the group.
4. How is my privacy assured?
Your privacy is very important to us. We assure your privacy in a number of ways. Firstly, the groups are invite-only, meaning that it is impossible to gain access to the groups without first obtaining approval from the CMF. Secondly, the groups have “secret” status on Facebook. This means that only members of the group have access to it and can post to it. Furthermore, the groups cannot be found by non-members in a general search of Facebook. Once you post a message to the group it will appear in the newsfeed of the support group. It will also appear in your personal newsfeed on your Facebook page. Please note that these are the only places your message will appear. It will NOT appear in the newsfeeds of your Facebook friends.
5. Are the groups moderated by the CMF?
It is of utmost importance to the CMF that support group members always feel that they have a safe space to share their feelings and experiences, regardless of race, religion, gender, age and the colour of their skin. Although this has never been a problem to date, the CMF monitors both groups and will act immediately on any inappropriate use or content.
6. How do I post to the group?
A small box appears at the top of the newsfeed in the support group, with your profile picture and the words, “Write something…”. Click in the “Write something…” space and type your message to the group. Once you are finished typing out your message, click on the “post” button on the bottom right corner of the message box. Other options available to you before posting include: adding photo/video, live video, files, etc.
7. How do I receive notifications when other members post?
Notification of member posts can be via email, SMS and the “Notification” button at the top of your Facebook page . To choose what you're notified about in a group, click the "Joined" button directly beside the blue "Invite" button on the CMF support group page. Click "Manage Notifications" from the drop down menu.
From here, you can select:
- All Posts: You'll get notifications any time members post in the group.
- Highlights: You'll get notifications for suggested posts and posts from your Facebook Friends who are also members of the group.
- Friends' Posts: You'll get notifications whenever your Facebook friends, who are members of the group, post.
- Off: You won't get notifications when members post.
You can also set up push notifications here for group highlights. Once finished, click "Done".
8. Can I message group members individually?
To message a member privately, click on the “members” hyperlink directly beneath the profile picture for the group. Scroll down the list of members until you find the member you are searching for. Click on the member's profile to bring up their Facebook page. Click on "message" directly under their profile picture.
9. Can I add other members to the group?
Group members may invite Facebook friends who are also patients or caregivers or bereaved to join a CMF support group. However, the CMF reviews the invitation before access is provided to the group. This extra step is necessary for ensuring the privacy and security of our members. To invite another individual to join the group, click on the blue “Invite” button immediately below the support group profile picture. Two options are provided, including Invite with email, or Invite Facebook Friends. Follow the dialog box instructions for your preferred option. When you click on an option, the CMF is notified of the requested membership. We will then follow up with you directly to confirm that, 1) you intended to request this membership, and 2) the individual is either living with mesothelioma, or is a caregiver or bereaved (as applicable). We may also follow-up with the invitee directly. Once the CMF has completed its due diligence, the proposed membership will be approved or declined.
10. Who do I contact with any questions or concerns I have about the support group?
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns about the support groups. You can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.